There are times when it is legally appropriate to obtain an annulment instead of a divorce. When you obtain an annulment, the marriage contract is void retroactive to the date of your marriage. It's as if the marriage never took place.
At The Mathews Group, LC, our lawyers guide men and women through the annulment process. For a no-cost consultation, call 913-660-0664 or complete the simple contact form on this website. From our law office in Leawood, KS, we represent clients throughout the Kansas City metro area in Kansas and Missouri.
The following are examples of times when you can void a marriage in Missouri or Kansas:
- The marriage was based on fraud or deception.
- The couple cannot legally marry because they are related or one partner was already married.
- One of the parties was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the marriage.
- One of the parties was not of sound mind to give consent.
- One party is incapable of performing marital duties.
Many family law courts will grant an annulment if you have not been married too long. One party will need to admit to a ground such as fraud, but will not be required to state what the fraud was. In the past, annulments based on fraud were more difficult to obtain.
For More Information About How to Annul a Marriage in Johnson County
You will never be charged for your initial consultation with a Kansas City annulment attorney at our firm. To schedule a consultation, call 913-660-0664 or complete our contact form.